Indigenous Bail Worker (1 year Contract)
Sioux Lookout, ON
This is a full-time position at 35 hours per week and commencing as soon as possible. This position is part of a team that assists clients on bail release by offering supportive, culturally-responsive supervision in the community.
• Experience or education in a social and justice services.
• Knowledge of historic and current forms of colonialism, systemic discrimination, displacement, and barriers facing Indigenous communities.
• Ability to articulate criminal and social justice issues.
• Experience in counselling and crisis intervention is an asset but not required.
• Fluency in an Indigenous language is ideal.
• Strong computer literacy skills.
• Criminal record check is required.
• Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with court officials, justice stakeholders, and Indigenous communities and organizations.
• Interview prospective candidates for bail while in custody.
• Gather and verify information to communicate outcomes and release plans to stakeholders.
• Monitor clients’ bail conditions according to program standards.
• Provide mental health intervention and referrals to culturally-based services.
• Maintain case recording of all contacts made with clients and other agencies on their behalf.
• Travel to surrounding First Nations to meet with Indigenous clients as required.
• Adhere to Ministry policies and procedures.
• Prepare and complete reports as directed.
Location: Sioux Lookout, ON
Salary: Salary commensurate with education and experience
Closing Date: April 13, 2021
Please send cover letter, resume and 3 references to:
Human Resources, Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation,
1805 Arthur St E, Thunder Bay, ON, P7E 2R6
Tel: 1-800-465-5581 Fax: 807-622-3024 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NALSC invites applications from qualified citizens of NAN. Please indicate in your cover letter how you meet the criteria for the position and whether you are a NAN citizen. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Nishnawbe-Aski Legal Services Corporation welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
For more information, please visit our website: www.nanlegal.on.ca