The Kwayaciiwin Education Resource Centre in Sioux Lookout, Ontario is seeking a
Native Language Specialist
The Native Language Specialist, under the direction of the Academic Readiness Project Coordinator will design, develop curriculum and unit plans, implement native language guidelines and provide professional development for schools served by Kwayaciiwin.
• Support district schools on the Kwayaciiwin native language curriculum guidelines.
• Develop and revise native language curriculum guidelines.
• Develop comprehensive units of study, lesson and long range plans for aboriginal programs.
• Promote the Kwayaciiwin program throughout the schools, community and district.
• Assist teaching staff in implementing the guidelines: timetabling, organizing, developing materials and planning.
• Assist Schools in the implementation of the Kwayaciiwin curriculum
• Provide professional development to school staff in areas such as balanced literacy, numeracy, learning centres, classroom management, etc.
• Design and develop teaching materials in the languages of the First Nations.
• Teacher qualifications with primary, junior, intermediate and/or Native Language Instructors Diploma with classroom experience.
• Language fluency in Ojibway, Oji-Cree and/or Cree is a requirement.
• Ability to read and write in the one of the local area dialects.
• Experience working with First Nations in the field of education
• Self-motivated, organized, able to work as a team member, a facilitator, and a consultant
• Excellent interpersonal, communications and computer skills.
• Ability to travel independently to isolated First Nations communities.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, two recent employment references with written permission to contact, and a covering letter via email to:
Eugene Southwind, Finance and Human Resources Officer
Kwayaciiwin Education Resource Centre
Closing Date for Applications: Open till filled.
Criminal Reference and Child Abuse Registry check required at time of hiring.
Kwayaciiwin thanks all those who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.